Education is at the heart of the museum's mission. Students attending our in-house and outreach programs develop an appreciation of place and culture, a sense of community pride, an awareness of heritage preservation, and opportunities for learning across all age levels.
By creating materials that connect the museum’s message with some element of a teacher’s curriculum, the museum assures that both teachers and students have the opportunity for an enhanced lesson that produces academically capable students who can demonstrate their competency in the core curriculum and apply their knowledge and skills. We are proud to provide our programs at no cost to the school or teachers.
Benefits of Museum Education
At the Rogers Historical Museum all of our school programs are based on the current Arkansas Curriculum Standards. The benefits for children participating in our in-house and outreach programs include:
- Acquiring new knowledge, understanding, and skills
- Changing their perception of and attitude toward museums
- Developing thinking skills including problem solving, inquiry, observation, empathy, and understanding
- Enjoyment, inspiration, and creativity
- Handling real artifacts and high quality replicas
- Social benefits such as working on teams and meeting other adults
- The opportunity to participate actively as citizens and develop social skills with other people outside of the school environment
An Institution of Exploration
This museum is a community-wide investment in our children and provides fundamental learning experiences. It is an institution of exploration where children lead the process of discovery in an educational atmosphere, and a place where teachers, parents, and museum staff all share in each student's joy in learning about the world around them.
During COVID-19 the museum is not offering any outreach programming or tours of the Museum; however, we are still offering our great programs virtually using Google Classroom. If you'd still like a program please sign up, we'd love to send you a code for a 20 minute educations video. For further information about the programs and how to reach Ashley our Curator of Education, please go to our For Teachers page.