Certificate of Occupancy

Inspection Process

Certificate of Occupancy inspections are scheduled through this office. You must contact the Planning Department prior to scheduling your inspection to have them check and approve the zoning for your type of business. We require all of your furniture/merchandise to be in place prior to our inspection. This inspection is required before you can obtain a city business license from the City Clerk's office. Please allow a minimum of 24 hours notice for this inspection. Click here for Certificate of Occupancy Checklist (PDF).

New Commercial Buildings & Restaurants

All new commercial buildings, tenant finish outs and remodels will be required to have passed a final inspection from our office before moving any furniture/merchandise into the space. You will need to contact the Fire Marshal's office and the Benton County Health Department (for food establishments) to schedule the required inspections from their departments. These inspections are required to be done prior to our inspection. In addition, notify the Planning Department that you are ready for a Certificate of Occupancy and they will conduct their own site inspection.

Moving a Business or Change of Ownership

If you are moving your business to another location within the city limits or if you have a change of ownership, you will be required to have another Certificate of Occupancy inspection. Alterations/remodels may require plan review and permits depending on the scope of work, please contact our office prior to commencing with any work. It is recommended that you check with the Planning Department before you move to make sure your business meets the zoning requirements at that location.

Following Inspection Completion

Once the building inspection is completed, you will bring the paperwork to our office where we will issue you the Certificate of Occupancy - there is a $25 fee for the Certificate of Occupancy. The Planning Department will then verify that all the conditions of approval have been met, including but not limited to, a drainage certification by the engineer of record, a 3-year landscape guarantee, and any other required paperwork.

Business License Payment

Once the Planning Department has signed the Certificate of Occupancy, you will take it to the City Clerk's office where you will pay for your business license. Failure to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy shall be a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $250 per day that said violation exists (Ordinance Number 04-56).