Certificate of Occupancy

Inspection Process

Certificate of Occupancy inspections are scheduled through the Risk Reduction office. You must first contact the Community Development Department and apply for a Use Permit to verify that the property is zoned for the type of business you are wanting to open. We will require all of your furniture to be in place and your merchandise at least 80% stocked prior to scheduling your inspection. Please allow a minimum of 24 hours notice for this inspection. Once the inspection has been done, you can apply for your city business license. There will be a $25 fee for the inspection along with the cost of your license. Failure to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy shall be a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $250 per day that said violation exists (Ordinance Number 04-56). 

New Commercial Buildings & Restaurants

All new commercial buildings, tenant finish outs and remodels will be required to have passed a final inspection from our office before moving any furniture/merchandise into the space. Restaurants will need to contact the Benton County Health Department to schedule the required health inspection from their office. This inspection is required to be done prior to scheduling our inspection.

Moving a Business or Change of Ownership

If you are moving your business to another location within the city limits or if you have a change of ownership, you will be required to apply for another Use Permit and will need a new Certificate of Occupancy inspection. Alterations/remodels to a building you are looking at occupying may require plan review and permits depending on the scope of work, please contact our office prior to commencing with any work. It is recommended that you check with the Community Development Department before you move to make sure your business meets the zoning requirements at that location. We can also do a courtesy inspection on an interested building prior to signing a lease to make sure it will meet code requirements.